Wonsocket RI Multiple Sex Crime Charges
A man was arrested in Providence, Rhode Island, and charged in the Providence County Rhode Island Superior Court for:
- First Degree Child Molestation Sexual Assault, in violation of R.I.G.L. § 11-37-8.1;
- Assault with Intent to Commit Specified Felonies, in violation of R.I.G.L. § 11-5-1;
- Second Degree Child Molestation Sexual Assault, in violation of R.I.G.L. § 11-37-8.3;
- Indecent Solicitation of a Child, in violation of R.I.G.L. § 11-37-8.8;
- Second Degree Child Abuse, in violation of R.I.G.L. § 11-9-5.3(b)(2); and
- Indecent Exposure – Disorderly Conduct (1st Offense), in violation of R.I.G.L. § 11-45-2
Woonsocket Police received information regarding allegations of child molestation of a young female by her mother’s boyfriend. The female disclosed several instances of sexual abuse, to include oral sex, as well being forced to participate in the physical touching of the man’s penis and him touching her private areas. Based on these disclosures, a warrant was issued for the man’s arrest for First Degree Child Molestation Sexual Assault; Assault with Intent to Commit Specified Felonies; Second-Degree Child Molestation; Indecent Solicitation of a Child; Second Degree Child Abuse; and Indecent Exposure – Disorderly Conduct, in Rhode Island Superior Court (Providence County). After being arrested and charged, and having a bad experience with another lawyer, the man retained Rhode Island Sex Assault Defense Lawyer, John L. Calcagni III, to defend him in this matter.
Case Result: Sex Assault Amended to Felony Assault with Suspended Sentence and Probation.
Over time, with intense investigation and trial preparation, Attorney Calcagni ultimately negotiated a plea deal that provided for the man’s admission to the less serious, amended charge of felony assault opposed to the charged sex offenses. This disposition enabled the man to accept responsibility for a non-sex offense that did not require him to serve any time in jail or register as a sex offender. Ultimately, the man received a suspended jail sentence with probation and moved away from Rhode Island.