RI & MA Criminal Defense Attorney
Attorney Calcagni is skilled at both criminal and civil litigation. He formerly served as a military prosecutor in the U.S. Army JAG Corps and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice. Military Defense Attorney Calcagni is admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces and the U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals, as well as the state and federal courts in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, and Florida.
Attorney Calcagni prosecuted hundreds of crimes involving drug use, possession and distribution; simple and domestic assault; assault with deadly weapons; gang-related assault; manslaughter; murder; attempted murder; possession, manufacture and distribution of child pornography; solicitation of minors; child abuse; rape; carnal knowledge or statutory rape; weapons-related charges; burglary; breaking and entering; possession of bomb-making materials; terrorism-related offenses; fraud; identity fraud; larceny; destruction of property; financial crimes; traffic violations; driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; trespassing; conspiracy; and attempt-related offenses.
He now uses the extensive investigation and trial experience he acquired as federal prosecutor to represent his clients in Criminal Defense matters in State, Federal and Military Courts.
Attorney Calcagni is also an experienced civil litigator. He formerly belonged to a boutique civil litigation firm that specializes in representing Plaintiffs in Complex Personal Injury actions such as medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, nursing home negligence, and product liability.
Attorney Calcagni represented Plaintiffs in all aspects of civil litigation, both in discovery and at trial. His clients are well-served by his pretrial investigation, trial preparation and commitment to maximizing the value of each case for settlement or trial.
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School, Charlottesville, VA (2004)
- Roger Williams University School of Law, Bristol, RI (2003, magna cum laude)
- Bryant University, Smithfield, RI (2000, cum laude)
- Classical High School, Providence, RI (1996)
- U.S. Army Reserves – Judge Advocate General’s Corps (2008-Present)
- U.S. Army Trial Defense Service, Senior Defense Counsel
- U.S. Army Trial Defense Service, Deputy Regional Defense Council
- U.S. Army – Judge Advocate General’s Corps. (2004-2008)
- Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
- 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, New York
- Senior Trial Counsel (2007-2008)
- Chief, Military Justice (2006-2007)
- Trial Counsel (2005-2006)
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney (2004-2008)
Admitted to practice in:
- Rhode Island (2003)
- Massachusetts (2003)
- Connecticut (2005)
- New York (2005)
- Florida (2008)
- U.S. District Court for Northern District of New York (2004)
- U.S. District Court for Eastern District of New York (2010)
- U.S. District Court for Southern District of New York (2010)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island (2008)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts (2008)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut (2009)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (2004)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2011)
- U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (2011)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2009)
Contact Criminal Defense Lawyer John L. Calcagni today at (401) 351-5100 to schedule a Free Consultation.